LISTENING TO KATRINA
PAGES IN THIS BLOG ARE RATED 'R' AND DO CONTAIN
PROFANITY, VULGARITY, GRAPHIC VIOLENCE, NUDITY,
SCENES OF HUMAN EMOTION, DEATH, DESTRUCTION, MAYHEM, AND VARIOUS
Before we get down to some meat and potatoes, I want to have a little dessert first. The various books, magazines, and websites on the general topic of 'survival' eventually get into discussions about 'mindset' and specifically the 'survival mindset'. They sometimes go on endlessly about that crap and then try to sell you pre-assembled 'survival kits' or other such non-sense. I want to outline a few things that I am going to come back to time and time again, under the heading of 'Philosophy' - not a 'Survival Philosophy', but a 'Philosophy of Success'.
1. SURVIVAL IS NOT A KIT!
2. If you prepare to survive, you will, but survival means breaking even.
3. If you prepare to succeed, you can do much better than survive.
4. The best
'survival kit' is the kit you carry. If you have the greatest kit in the
world, and you don't carry it, then it's worthless.
5. Skills and knowledge are more important than stuff.
6. If you're having fun, it's not survival, it's camping out.
7. Anybody who tells you that survival is 90% mental and 10% physical has never actually been in a survival situation. Those numbers can swing wildly...
8. The best way not to get lost is to never leave home in the first place.
9. Lazy people do not prosper.
10. In any survival situation, you should try to keep your friends alive as long as possible. They stay fresh longer that way.
We'll be expanding on and adding to this list as we go along.